Monday, April 28, 2008

Portland Elementary's Field Trip to Lakeport Plantation

Last Friday, I took my 4th and 5th graders to visit Lakeport Plantation outside of Lake Village! We had a really great time and the kids were so good and so interested in everything!One of my best friends, Meagan, is interning at Portland this semester, so it has been really fun getting to hang out as "teachers" together!She did really well going on her first "official" Field Trip! Lakeport is the only remaining plantation home on the Mississippi River in Arkansas, so if you ever get a chance to visit it is worth it! Here are a few pics from the trip.... the bed and oven shown are actually 150 years old and belonged to the original owners of the house! Their goal is to keep everything as close as possible to its original look.

P.S. Yes, I am a history dork!!My Mom and I share the love of ,as my Dad puts it," stomping around in old houses" =)








3 comments:

The Fab Five said...

Which child is the one who had the critter glued to his finger? LOL

Elisabeth and Gibson Steele said...

Hey, got your comment--I have been a little slacking on this blogging thing--kinda had just a few things going on--anyway, I added yall!

See ya, Elisabeth
http://ebeb2.blogspot.com/

Tommy, Suzanne, and Mary Peyton said...

i am not sure if i found your blog through angela fratesi or angie stallings....

anyway - it's neat to see the pictures of lakeport. my cousin and her husband, sam and donna angel, donated lakeport to the historical society and i think they did a great job in the renovation project!

take care...
suzanne barnette